Staff Gives Views on Cell Phone Use at Coral Shores

Brittney Doyle, Staff Writer

Most students believe using cell phones in class is that it should be totally acceptable, but what about the teachers here at Coral Shores?

Mrs. Dobson has been a teacher at Coral Shores for many years, and she has always been lenient when it comes to students using cell phones in class.

“It’s a love-hate relationship with cell phones,” said Dobson. “I teach a college-level class, so I try to make it as realistic as possible. No college professor is going to take your phone.”

Mrs. Dobson never confiscates phones during class, unless there is a test.

“I learned the hard way to take phones away during tests,” said Dobson. “A student took a picture of one of my tests and sent it to students in the later period.”

As for how she feels about the current school wide cell phone policies, she encourages teachers to make their own rules and learn from her mistakes.

Now on the opposite end of the spectrum is Mrs. Moates, the office manager at Coral Shores. She has a more strict view on cell phone use, saying if she could she would “ban all phones from even being on campus.” She even stated that the policy should extend to teachers as well.

“When I first started working here, there were no cell phones and everything ran much smoother,” Moates said in her argument against cell phone use.

Moates receives about three students’ cell phones a day from teachers.