Coral Shores Band Plays Miami Dade College Wind Symphony

Olivia Betancourt, Staff Writer

The Coral Shores High School Band played alongside the Miami Dade College Wind Symphony on Mar. 24. They did so with director Joy Harden and performed at the Kendall campus.

“I play the drums and I would like to continue playing the drums,” said freshman Erik Erikson. “The trip was kind of stressful, I had a hard time memorizing the music”

Teacher Ms. Harden said her favorite part of the trip was when she heard her student perform and also enjoyed hearing students from Key West High School perform.

Harden recalled a stressful activity the band did which included the band doing an activity called “sight-reading.” She explained the exercise as “teaching new unproduced music to the students and then seeing if the students can make it through the song without messing up.”

“There are two parts to sight reading and you only get three minutes to look at the first ‘march,’” Harden said. “I had to teach it to them in the time we were allowed but when the judges called time the students had to play and I was not allowed to help them in any way.”

“The second song is a little harder and I get five minutes to teach and we go through the same process as the first song,” she said

She was impressed with her students saying “not everyone can do what they do without crashing and burning” and with the band’s hard work and dedication.