School Lunch Insufficient for High School Students

Nicole Wapinsky, Staff Writer

Coral Shores school lunch during the year of 2017 getting worse?

Many students have complained about the terrible lunch and emphasized on how they want it to get better.  I have personal experience with the school lunch and I have to say it is not good at all.

“School lunch has always been bad and terrible, food is not safe for the kids,” said Sophomore Kevin Leon.

Lunch is something most students look forward to after working in classes for hours. But what do they have to look forward to, expired milk?  

Some students have gotten sick and had to go home after eating the school lunch. One student reported after biting into a chicken sandwich, all they found was a pink gooey substance that was definitely not chicken. Students get to look forward to salads with appetizing rotten oranges and wilted leaves for lunch. Though students still have alternate meal options, some still are left dissatisfied or left without options at all.

I can’t tell you how many times I went hungry because the lunch was absolutely unfit to serve to students.

CONTRIBUTED
The requirements of a student meal at lunch.

The food and nutrition services state on their website, “ By serving healthy meals, we help support healthy minds in academic growth and assist in empowering students to become responsible and contributing global citizens.”

How are we, as growing adolescents, expected to thrive off of five chicken nuggets served with six smiley-faced potatoes?

According to SFGate the average teenager should be consuming roughly 1800-2400 calories per day.

Students spend around eight hours a day in school. This, of course, means that lunch should be packed with calories and the nutrition (two-three servings of fruit and two servings of vegetables) we need.  

Something needs to change because it’s not fair to the students that work and their only lunch break is filled with disgusting food.