‘Tis the Season of Giving Back to the People

Adrian Munoz, Staff Writer

Coral Shores and the community of Key Largo are getting ready for the Christmas season by organizing events that benefit people in need to make their holiday more memorable.

Key Club, Interact, National Honor Society and Student Council will hold several events that can benefit families and make their Christmases more joyful. They are hoping that every student can participate in at least one event.

The choices include making stockings for seniors at the Plantation Key Nur

Contributed
Christmas presents are bought during December.

sing center, Toys For Tots, and clean-up in the Upper Keys.

Stockings made for the seniors living at the nursing center should not be wrapped and they are due by Friday, Dec. 15. Every stocking will require the following: nice pens, sunglasses, perfume/cologne, simple clocks. Items that can’t be included are: candy, food (due to dietary restrictions), no candles, and no games or card games (because of the surplus amount they already have). Anyone interested should see Mrs. Rehmann for more information.

Toys For Tots will be organized on Sunday, December 17 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. The location is still to be announced. Anyone interested should see Mrs. Truesdale to sign up for a few hours or the entire time. Students can bring in items for Toys for Tots. Items are to be given to homeroom teachers. Teachers can also take the items to the main office drop box.

Clean up in the Upper Keys will be from mm 100-106 on Sunday, Dec. 10. Students planning on participating should arrive at Murray Nelson Government Center at 11:30 a.m. so that everyone knows what and how it will happen. Suggested items you should bring from home are yard tools and anything you would need to clean up, such as gloves and shovels. Make sure to bring a lot of water to stay hydrated. Safety vests are going to be provided. The sign up sheet is in Ms. Rosenow’s room and she will provide the location.

The main goal is for everyone to participate or to donate either money or time because there are people who may not have the best holiday, but donations could make a big difference.

Senior Gigi Matos describes the senior stockings in a unique way.

“I like to think of it as Toys for Tots but for elderly people,” Matos said. “It’s really nice spending time with the senior’s because they might feel lonely and it could possibly make them really happy.”