Canes Face the Fish in Basketball Rivalry

Tanaris Walker, Staff Writer

One of the most anticipated games of the year, if not the most, was on Wednesday Dec. 13 against rival Marathon High School.

People around the school were excited about the game and had been looking forward to the game all week.

“This game is one of my favorites to watch; it’s always intense,” senior Dustin Chamberlain said. “Since I started school here freshman year, this has been one of the most watched and anticipated games.”

Yaxel Valladares, someone who attends all the games and is a strong supporter, feels that this year’s basketball team is better and more organized than they have been in a long time.

“The basketball team this year looks good, better than last year for sure,” Valladares said.

This rivalry between the two schools goes back many years, and being that the last time the two teams played each other Marathon won, the Canes are eager to get back and compete.

Angel Kelley
Senior point guard Elijah Woods calls a play on the court.

“The teams seem to match up well, so it should be a good game,” senior shooting guard Brandon Rowland said. “It’s going to come down to who wants it more.”

In agreeance with Rowland, Athletic Director Richie Russell comments on the game.

“Winning is an attitude and a state of mind,” Richie Russell said.

The results from the game are in and Marathon walked away with the win.

The first half of the game the score was close with only an eight point difference.

“At the half we felt like we were in a good spot, we just had to work on a few things,” freshman point guard Aniel Chavez said.

After the half Marathon went on a run that put them up double digits, but the Canes’ stood their ground and continued to play their game.

Despite their best efforts, the Canes lost by 18 points.

“Basketball can be a physical game especially when there are two teams who have physical play styles, and sometimes you come out bruised,” senior point/shooting guard Jason Polanco said.