Academic Challenge Takes First In District Competition

Kyla Catarineau, Managing Editor

The Academic Challenge team advanced to the Disney competition after taking first place in the district competition on Wednesday, Jan. 31.

Taking charge of the team this year, captain Tommy Rodberg helped lead his team to victory in the district competition.

On the team are seniors Halley Lane, Aelish Young, Jakob Pooley, Tyler Arnold, and Sofia Garcia.

The team is comprised of six students, but only four are “in” at a time. When the four are “in” they are the only ones who can answer the questions being asked.

Typically on academic challenge teams, the team has “specialists” in certain subjects, such as music, foreign language, math, science, English, etc. This is not the case with this team.

“This year I would say the only ‘specialist’ we have is Tyler [Arnold]; he is our go-to for math,” counselor and supervisor of the team Ms. Harris said.

Team member Lane added, “We hadn’t had any time to practice as a full team, and we lacked strong foreign language or music people, so I was pretty surprised that we won.”

Though some may think the Academic Challenge team isn’t serious and the questions asked are easy, Harris said, it is actually the other way around. The team takes Academic Challenge seriously, while answering difficult questions and having fun.

“Some of the question these kids get asked are ridiculous, and the team just laughs when they see them,” Ms. Harris said.

Last year’s Academic Challenge team was also very competitive. The team also advanced to the Disney competition. Though they made it to Disney, the team lost very quickly in the competition.

The team is hoping for better luck this year, but are excited to go whether it ends in a win or a loss.

“I was so excited that I almost cried when it was announced that Coral Shores took first place for the second year in a row,” Lane said.