Philly Takes It All

Jason Polanco, Staff Writer

The stage was set at Super Bowl 52 as the New England Patriots took on the Philadelphia Eagles.

Feb. 4 marked the day of the 52nd Super Bowl in which the Philadelphia Eagles and the New England Patriots squared off. The buzz surrounding this years Super Bowl was incredible at Coral Shores High School (CSHS), as many of the students are either Eagles fans or Patriots fans.

In what was a very exciting and down-to-the-wire game, the Eagles eventually prevailed 41-33 despite having lost their starting quarterback prior to the playoffs and were considered the underdog going into every match-up.

“When [Carson] Wentz, the starting quarterback before [Nick] Foles took over, went down I thought we really didn’t have a chance,” junior Tim Orr said. “I love the Eagles and I was rooting for them regardless, but I had my doubts once the injury report had him out for the rest of the season.”

Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Lane Johnson embraces the underdog status by wearing a dog mask during the playoffs.

This is the first time in Eagles history that they have brought home a championship after having come up short in 1981; and also in 2005 in which they lost to the Patriots.

“I still remember sitting in front of the T.V. watching the Super Bowl in 2005 when the Eagles played the Patriots and how heartbroken I was when the Eagles lost,” senior Elijah Woods said. “The fact that we made it to the Super Bowl with Wentz going down and were able to get revenge for the previous time made it that much sweeter.”

Although the Patriots were unable to get the job done, the fans at CSHS are not as heartbroken or disappointed as many would have thought.

“Other than last years Super Bowl, when the Patriots came back from a 28-3 deficit, this had to have been one of the more exciting Super Bowl games to watch,” junior Jesse Rego said. “There was big play after big play and the Pats just weren’t able to get it done. You have to give credit where credit is due and the Eagles are a very solid team, but we’ll be back next year.”

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles celebrates after a touchdown drive that put the Eagles on top.

After the winner is crowned, so is the Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the Super Bowl. There was no doubt that the Eagles quarterback, Nick Foles, would take home the honor after stepping up so late in the season to lead an underdog Eagles team to victory after having lost their starting quarterback.

Foles boasted an unbelievable stat line, connecting on 28 of 43 passes for 373 yards, four total touchdowns, and an interception. The interception came off of a fumbled catch that the Patriots defense was able to take advantage of.

The celebratory parade is to be held on Wed. Feb. 7, but has not been officially confirmed.