Make a Stand, Speak Up For Voiceless

Please Prevent Bullying, Violence, Terrorism

Child+is+depicted+sitting+in+isolation+at+lunch.+
Child is depicted sitting in isolation at lunch.

Contributed

Contributed

Kyla Catarineau, Managing Editor

The world. A place that encompasses seven continents, 195 nations, millions of species, and a place that is home to seven billion people.

The world today is beautiful, it is filled with joy and love.

The world is also ugly, it is filled with contempt and hatred, it is a place where no one is safe.

Bullying, random acts of violence, terrorism. These are all things that are part of our world today. No matter how much we try, we can’t even stop bullying the least extreme of the three things listed above, right? Wrong.

Bullying is everywhere, I see it everyday at school. A bully is someone that uses superior strength or influence to hurt someone else. It is not a term that should be funny, its a word that should sadden you, but somehow we laugh with the bullies and at the bullied.

Kids get hurt everyday, both physically and mentally. Because of bullies, kids feel that they’re not good enough, they feel like they’re different, but so what if you are.

I’ve been called weird, strange, different, awkward. For some reason I used to care what people said, and to an extent you should, but I don’t care what people who only try to bring me down say.

I sat alone at lunch for a while and still occasionally do when I’m not welcome at the lunch table, but so what?

I don’t care if I sit alone, but I do care if other people do. It’s because of these bullies and the stereotypes they create that other kids sit alone at lunch. Who’s to say what’s normal or what’s weird; I know it’s certainly not any student at Coral Shores.

Personally, I find it incredibly sad that there are people sitting alone, people without friends, people that don’t feel like they fit in because of other students.

At this school I don’t see an effort; I don’t see students going out of their way for another human being that is they’re equal. Instead, I see students going out of their way to torment other students.

Though I don’t see it now, I’m hoping that I will start to see it. I hope to spread a message; one that says everyone’s welcome and one that shows we all care about each other. No one should feel like an outcast at their own school.

If you’re seeing the same things I am, go sit with the lonely kids at lunch, say something to the bullies. If you have any ideas on how to stop the bullies or how to make more kids feel welcome, share your ideas and don’t be afraid. Do what you can to make this world, the world we all live in, a better place. I know I’m trying to.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Make a Stand, Speak Up For Voiceless”

1. Catie Frier on February 15th, 2018 2:24 pm

Thank you for so beautifully voicing what I hope will be a positive change here at school and anywhere you see injustice.

[Reply]

2. Mrs. Britton on February 16th, 2018 10:54 am

Beautiful article, Kyla, on a topic that needs to be addressed.

I agree wholeheartedly and admire you for writing this, for taking a stand and making a difference.

Keep up the great work!

[Reply]

Make a Stand, Speak Up For Voiceless