Coral Shores Sailing Places 3rd

Back to Article
Back to Article

Coral Shores Sailing Places 3rd

CONTRIBUTED Coral Shores High School Sailing Team members (from left to right), freshman Laurel Tyson, sophomore Alex Gonzalez, senior Emma Marsden, junior Ethan Osborne, and sophomore Ella Marsden.

Jason Polanco, Sports Editor

The Coral Shores High School (CSHS) Sailing Team competed in their 5th South Points Regatta in St. Petersburg and placed third out of 24 teams in the South Atlantic Interscholastic Sailing Association (SAISA).

The team is currently in 5th place in the SAISA South District and the top 7 teams will qualify to compete at the SAISA District Qualifier in Jacksonville on March 24-25.

Last year, the team placed 7th out of 97 SAISA teams at the SAISA Districts’ Qualifiers, but members of the team are very confident that they will come out on top this year.

CONTRIBUTED Ella and Emma Marsden pose for a picture after one of their regattas.

“Last year we did well, but I know for sure we could have done better,” senior Emma Marsden, a member of the CSHS sailing team, said. “The competition is tough, but I know for sure that we can come out on top.

Marsden and her sister, sophomore Ella Marsden, won the 2nd Place trophy for CSHS in the 2017 Girls’ Districts Regatta and will competing again this year on Saturday, April 7.

“It’s cool getting to sail with my sister,” [Ella] Marsden said. “I think it gives us an advantage since we communicate a lot better and know each others strengths and weaknesses. It helps us work better as a team.”

The team placed top five in four out of the five regattas they have sailed in and have two more to go until the district qualifier.

CONTRIBUTED The Marsden sisters captured second place in the 2017 Girls District Championship.

“We’re feeling confident,” junior Ethan Osborne said. “We started off a bit shaky in the first regatta, but have picked up the pace as we’ve gone and we’re excited to get back out there.”