Students Give Marvel-ous Reviews of Black Panther

CONTRIBUTED
Black Panther was released on February 16.

CONTRIBUTED Black Panther was released on February 16.

Melanie Porras, Staff Writer

Students at Coral Shores High School (CSHS) have been hyping up the most recent Marvel film, Black Panther, the story of a prince who takes the throne of Wakanda, a hidden paradise in Africa that’s filled with the world’s most expensive and strongest resource, Vibranium.

MELANIE PORRAS
The official Black Panther poster at Flagship Cinemas is displayed in Homestead.

This eagerly awaited film based off the first black superhero in Black Panther, starring Chadwick Boseman as Prince T’Challa, drastically impacted the future of superhero movies for years to come.

Black Panther stays true to its comic book origins, and along with its incredible cast and a powerful message, that kept its fans in awe the entire time.

Black Panther was released by Marvel Studios on February 16, 2018 and was available to watch in nearby theaters Cinema 5 in Tavernier and Flagship Cinemas in Homestead.

This film caught attention from non-comic book fans and brought a larger audience to the table, reaching almost 800 million dollars in the world-wide box office.

Sophomore Tomisha Caldwell enjoyed the experience in theaters and gives her thoughts on the film.

“I don’t really watch superhero movies, but I decided to take interest in this film because it’s really popular right now. It was definitely very interesting!” Caldwell explained.

The characters in the film were empowering and very unique within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“My favorite character is probably Shuri, the Black Panther’s younger sister, because she is very independent, motivational, and helpful towards his brother, T’Challa,” Caldwell added.

What makes this comic book film significant to all the others in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is the representation of people of color. It’s also rare to see a film have a huge budget with a minority director and a large black cast.

“I like how they incorporated all of the different African cultures into the movie. I also enjoyed how humorous the movie was,” senior Tanaris Walker said.

Around the school, Marvel fans also shared their thoughts on Black Panther. Senior Isabella Oliver, a huge fan of Marvel comics, has seen the film in theaters twice.

“I loved the fact that we didn’t have to wait for any action; we jumped right into it right in the beginning of the movie. I also loved the soundtrack; it kept the movie hyped and concentrated on African culture,” Oliver said.

The costumes, hair, and makeup spoke for each character and African culture throughout this film. Even the design of the hero’s costume was extremely detailed and thought-out.

“The best thing of all is the Black Panther’s suit. It really did win the box office. It’s sleek, unique, and just really cool,” Oliver continued.

Black Panther stands out as special because it has a very relevant message, but also entertains its audience with intense action scenes.

This film has been deemed a must-watch for anyone. Already the fifth highest-grossing box office weekend opener in history, Black Panther makes an impact with a social commentary on poverty, racial injustices, and leadership. This film meant the world to some people of color to finally relate to characters within a huge box office movie like this.