Fortnite Takes Over Classrooms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Fortnite Takes Over Classrooms

Spending within the first four days of Fortnite: Battle  Royalerelease.

Spending within the first four days of Fortnite: Battle Royalerelease.

CONTRIBUTED

CONTRIBUTED

CONTRIBUTED

Kelsey Harrington, Staff Writer

With no pause button and standing in the top 10 with a tactical shotgun, it’s hard to quit. New games are supposed to start off as the newest rage of video game players everywhere, but the newest game Fortnite: Battle Royale has reached a new level and seems to be keeping some Coral Shores students locked in their houses staring at the TV screen.

“I play Fortnite on my PlayStation every time I’m home; there isn’t a time I’m not [playing],” said sophomore Emily Martinez.

CONTRIBUTED
Spending within the first four days of Fortnite: Battle Royale release.

Fortnite: Battle Royale is a co-op survival game where a storm suddenly appears and starts to kill 98% of the players. The rest must build protection and weapons to fight for survival and earn the top rank. With hidden chests and weapons everywhere, the largest hurdle is being the first to get there.

Some students are so addicted they can’t even wait to go home to play. They end up playing at school.

“I play mostly during lunch and video productions,” said sophomore Yaxel Valladares.

Even though Fortnite hasn’t even been out for a year being released to consoles PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Microsoft on July 25, 2017, the game developers have released Fortnite to iPhones and iPads for free, not including in-app purchases.

KELSEY HARRINGTON/Hurricane Watch
When your mom is texting you about what you want for dinner, but Fortnite is life.

Within 3 days of being released, data indicates players have spent over $1.5 million dollars in this app.

“I prefer the phone over the console because it’s easier and faster and can be played anywhere,” said sophomore Kevin Leon.

With this popular game now on mobile, it isn’t surprising to see students playing it during class or pretty much anywhere they possibly can.

Fortnite is currently accessible to iPhone users but it is an invite-only format. The game creators expect to release the game on Androids within the next few months.