New Officer On Campus

Costoya Replaces Retired Officer Larry

Adrian Munoz, Staff Writer

ADRIAN MUNOZ/Hurricane Watch Officer Jose Costoya makes sure everything is safe on campus.

New resource officer, Jose Costoya, joined the Coral Shores High School (CSHS) staff after long-time officer Larry O’ Neill retired earlier this month on Friday, March 9.

Through his youth, Costoya attended South Dade High School. After he graduated he attended Miami Dade College and got his associates in electronics engineering. He then received his bachelor’s degree at University of Central Florida (UCF) and is currently working towards his masters in Criminal Justice.

Before Costoya joined the police force, he was a bio medical technician for three years; he fixed technical equipment at a local hospital. Costoya was also a substitute teacher for Dade County schools.

He is currently serving part time in the Air Force Reserves in the Aerial Port, recovering troops and bringing them back with assets to the country as well as transporting troops down range including their assets such as weapons, hummers, MRAPs. Costoya describes MRAPs as “tanks on wheels.”

After moving to the Keys, Costoya worked in the  Tavernier Courthouse and was also a patrol officer for about two or three years.

A patrol officer is an officer who is on the road looking out and performing traffic stops, they are stationed on the road ready to catch any speed demons out there. They also provide public safety, respond to emergencies such as burglary or assault cases.

Costoya has been working at CSHS for about two weeks and when asked what his goals as a resource officer are based on what he’s seen, Costoya answered with one main goal to acheive.

“Student and faculty safety is my number one priority; I try to stay vigilant, always observing suspicious vehicles and individuals to ensure safety,” Costoya said.

Officer Costoya has an office located in the main office. He also patrols A and B lunch to make sure students are safe.