New Daylight Savings Bill To Be Passed

Contributed. Is this the end of springing forward and falling back in Florida?

Emma Brower, Staff Writer

Coral Shores students are patiently waiting to see if the bill to get rid of Daylight Savings Time (DST) will be passed.

The bill has been nicknamed “The Sunshine State.” This bill will allow Florida to remain on DST year round, it has been signed by Governor Scott. DTS is the practice of turning the clock ahead as warmer weather approaches and back as it becomes colder again so that people will have one more hour of daylight in the afternoon and evening during the warmer season of the year, according to whatis.techtarget.com.

Though DST lengthens the day, some students are against this bill and hope it doesn’t get passed.

Student sleeping in class because time change has thrown them off. EMMA BROWER/Hurricane Watch

“I think we should keep changing between standard time and Daylight Savings because I like when we change the clock two times a year,” freshman Kailee McDaniel said.

Despite some students not wanting the bill to be passed, there are many students who are in support of the proposed law.

“I think it is really inconvenient to have to change the time, I am in favor of year-round Daylight Savings Time, ” freshman Ashley Hilson said.

There are also students who don’t care whether Florida stays on DST or not.

“I don’t really have a preference on what happens with the time change; I’ll be fine either way,” sophomore Carly Lindback said.

Just like the students at Coral Shores, residents of Florida also have differing opinions on the bill.

There are business owners that are concerned that the proposed year-round DST law would confuse customers who do not live in Florida because it would be the only state on DST year-round.

Florida would not be the first state to stay on one time year-round, Arizona and Hawaii do not observe DST and they remain in standard time year round.

Image result for Image of how a bill becomes a law in florida

As of right now “The Sunshine State” law is at the governor; once he signs it, it will work its way to the congress. CONTRIBUTED

1 Comment

One Response to “New Daylight Savings Bill To Be Passed”

1. Mike Hughes on April 5th, 2018 2:15 pm

Federal Law allows a state to remain on Standard time all year but not on DST. Even though Florida DID pass this resolution to remain on DST, it can’t go into effect without an act of Congress, which doesn’t appear likely at this point. One big concern with this resolution is that it would put many students at morning bus stops in the dark.

New Daylight Savings Bill To Be Passed