Madness in March

Latest Craze around CSHS Surrounds Start of NCAA Tournament as Students Begin to Fill Out Brackets

CONTRIBUTED
The official updated NCAA March Madness bracket.

CONTRIBUTED The official updated NCAA March Madness bracket.

Jason Polanco and Cote Snodgrass, Staff Writer

As the month of March approached, many college basketball fans at Coral Shores High School (CSHS) eagerly awaited the moment at which they could fill out their March Madness brackets in an attempt to create the perfect one.

The NCAA “March Madness” Tournament is broken up into four regions (South region, East region, West region, and Midwest region) consisting of 16 teams in each region seeded 1-16.

CONTRIBUTED The Cinderella story from this years tournament, 11-seed Loyola Chicago, celebrates a victory.

Going in to the tournament, many experts and students at CSHS had teams such as Arizona, Virginia, Xavier, Villanova, and Duke as favorites to win the tournament. Anyone who knows anything about March Madness, though, will know it’s full of Cinderella stories and the underdog comes out on top more often than not.

Sure enough, as nobody predicted, 1-seed Virginia drops to  16-seed University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) in the opening round of the tournament, making history as the first ever 16-seed to take down a 1-seed, but that isn’t where the madness stops.

Arizona, a 4-seed, also dropped in the first round to 13-seed Buffalo in a match-up that rarely anybody thought Buffalo could come out on top of.

CONTRIBUTED Senior Elijah Woods is a big fan of college basketball and has been following the tournament closely.

“Buffalo was shooting the lights out,” senior Elijah Woods said. “Arizona plays a more physical game, trying to work the post and get it inside to Deandre Ayton, but surprisingly Buffalo was able to contain him and Arizona had no answer for their perimeter players.”

In the second round, the upsets kept coming as 1-seed Xavier was defeated by a 9-seed Florida State team that enjoyed a fairly successful season, but many thought would have no tournament luck.

“Florida State has a very good team that’s very athletic and does a good job of spreading the floor,” senior Jack Yeager said. “I’m honestly surprised they were able to pull off the upset against Xavier, but I think they’re going to get knocked out in the next round.”

The only tournament favorites going in to the tournament that remain are 1-seed Villanova and 2-seed Duke. There are many notable teams that could make a run at the title that have breezed through the tournament since the start. Among those teams is 5-seed Kentucky, 5-seed West Virginia who will face Villanova in the Sweet Sixteen, 2-seed Purdue, 3-seed Texas Tech, 1-seed Kansas, and 4-seed Gonzaga.

The Sweet Sixteen runs from  Thursday, March 22 to Friday, March 23 followed by the Elite Eight Saturday, March 24 to Sunday, March 25 before the remaining four teams face off in the Final Four on  Saturday, March 31.

Tournament Update:

Kansas State, a 9-seed, along with 11-seed Loyola Chicago, 1-seed Villanova, 3-seed Texas Tech, 1-seed Kansas, 2-seed Duke, 9-seed Florida State,  and 3-seed Michigan come out with victories in the Sweet Sixteen and keep their tournament hopes alive as they move on to the Elite Eight.

In the Elite Eight, the Cinderella story continues for 11-seed Loyola Chicago as they defeat 9-seed Kansas State becoming the 4th 11-seed team in tournament history to reach the Final Four.

Villanova pulled out a decisive win over 3-seed Texas Tech and reach their second Final Four appearance in the past two years.

The 9-seed Florida State fell short of the Final Four as they lost a tough match-up to a 3-seed Michigan team that shows no signs of stopping, but have a tough match-up against 11-seed Loyola Chicago.

A thrilling overtime game between 1-seed Kansas and 2-seed Duke ended with the 1-seed coming out on top.

The Final Four is set as we have 3-seed Michigan taking on 11-seed Loyola Chicago and a battle of the 1-seeds as the two remaining one seeds, Villanova and Kansas, face off. Tip-off of the first game is 6:09 PM between Loyola Chicago and Michigan followed by an 8:49 start time for the match-up between Kansas and Villanova.