CSHS Baseball Gets Ready For Districts

Jason Polanco, Sports Editor

CONTRIBUTED
Senior Ty Harrelson sends a scorching fastball toward the opposing teams batter.

The Coral Shores High School (CSHS) Baseball Team is gearing up for a run at the district title as the regular season comes to an end.

The CSHS Baseball Team is in the 4A District 8 standings and currently sit at an 0-2 record in the district with an 8-6 overall record.

As the season comes to a close, the team has been making minor adjustments to the line-up in order to ensure that they have the best possible chance at reaching the district final. Among these are pitching rotations, batting orders, and adjustments in the field.

“The changes that are being made are helping out a lot,” senior pitcher and first-baseman Ty Harrelson said. “Rotating players around and giving them opportunities at different positions helps us fine-tune our game plan.”

Senior night is right around the corner (Friday, April 20) and for many of the senior players this will be the last time they step on to the home field as Hurricanes.

CONTRIBUTED
Senior Jake Curry gets his bat ready as the opposing team sends a pitch his way.

“It’s bittersweet,” senior pitcher and shortstop Jake Curry said. “I’m excited to be taking my talents to the next level [at Polk State], but I’ll never forget all of the memories I made on the field as a member of the CSHS Baseball Team.”

Although many of the senior players are excited to be taking their game to the next level and playing in college, their sights are set on a district title.

“I’m verbally committed to Salem State,” Harrelson said. “That I can focus on later; right now we have to focus on winning the ‘ship.”

The team is uncertain of who their opponent will be just yet, but as soon as the regular season ends they will know who they will be playing.

“We aren’t too worried,” freshman third-baseman Zak Filpes said. “We haven’t played every team in our district, but we’ve been on a roll lately and if we play our game I don’t think any other team stands a chance.”

CONTRIBUTED
Freshman Zak Filpes is ready for any ball that comes his way as he protects the third-base line.

The team is set to play tomorrow, Wednesday, April 11, againt Ransom Everglades before travelling to Miami Country Day on Friday, April 13. The final game of the regular season will be on Friday, April 20 against Miami Country Day as well.

For the full CSHS Baseball schedule click here.