Are Headphones Really The Problem?

CONTRIBUTED%0AThe+newest+style+of+headphones+makes+it+more+discrete+for+students+to+listen+to+music+in+school.+
CONTRIBUTED
The newest style of headphones makes it more discrete for students to listen to music in school.

CONTRIBUTED The newest style of headphones makes it more discrete for students to listen to music in school.

Adrian Munoz, Staff Writer

Recently, there has been a significant increase in warnings of headphone use from administration towards students at Coral Shores High School (CSHS) during passing periods or class time, but are headphones really a problem?

Listening to music has become an everyday thing, with so many artists and new music hitting the scene. Students can’t vibe to their tunes though, unless they are in the cafeteria during lunch time. Headphones are also allowed before and after the first and last school bells.

CSHS Vice Principal Ms. Bedell describes the situation as a “gentle reminder” because the policy has been in place since   the beginning of the year.

The consequences come with a series of strikes, similar to a baseball game.

HURRICANE WATCH//ADRIAN MUNOZ      Pictured is the school cafeteria, where students can use their headphones.

The first time a student gets his/her headphones taken away, they will be returned at the end of the day. On the second offense, parents will be called, and the third time comes with more intense consequences.

“Headphones take away from learning time,” Bedell said. “Since last year headphones didn’t work out, we had to put back the rule on no headphones; rules are necessary.”

Some students don’t agree with this policy and believe there are other problems that the school should address before focusing on taking away the privilege of listening to music with headphones.

HURRICANE WATCH//ADRIAN MUNOZ: Pictured in the door that has had no lock on it since the beginning of the school year. 

For example, the boy’s student bathroom in Mr. Grimes’ pod doesn’t have a lock on the stall door and you have to use a trash can as a door lock.

Junior Landon Gardner expressed this as unacceptable.

“I believe that a student having privacy in the bathroom is much more important than hunting down students with headphones on.”

Headphones help some students focus and work more approvingly.

“If I listen to my music I automatically block out people talking to me trying to distract me,” freshman Dallas Hutchinson said.

In conclusion, it really isn’t clear what the problems with headphones are, and there are even some teachers who disagree on the policy, but that’s just life.