A Year In Review

Students Look at Highs of Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Year In Review

CONTRIBUTED//   Baseball players gather around the pitching mound to discuss their next move.

CONTRIBUTED// Baseball players gather around the pitching mound to discuss their next move.

CONTRIBUTED

CONTRIBUTED

CONTRIBUTED

Kyla Catarineau, Managing Editor

As the sports of the 2017- 2018 school year come to an end, Coral Shores High School (CSHS) students and staff look back at the highs of all of the sports seasons.

One high of the year was when the baseball team took home the conference championship title, placing them in districts and making them known as best team in the conference.

CONTRIBUTED/ Catarineau and Bolivar make the paper as County Players of the Year.

“It feels good to be conference champs,” senior baseball player Aiden Hawkins said. “We lost last year to Palmer, so it was nice to end on top senior season.”

Another high was when three CSHS students were named county players of the year. Two of the players were from the girls soccer team and one player was from the boys soccer team.

The two girls were sophomores Kyla Catarineau and Isabella Bolivar, and the boy selected was senior Tom Nelson.

“It’s amazing to have been selected as player of the year because that means that the county thinks that Kyla and I are the best players in all of the county,” Bolivar said.

CONTRIBUTED/ Softball players pose for a picture after their first practice of the season.

Some other highs were when the softball and girls basketball teams had the best seasons either team had had in a decade.

In addition to softball and girls basketball, the boys soccer team had the team’s best season in 15 years.

In terms of cross- country and track & field, the boys cross- country team went to regional competition and Lily Costa advanced to states for pole vaulting, which is no small  feat.

“This years track season was different than others because the insane amount of injuries, but it has only made us stronger and ready for next season,” junior Genessa Miranda said.